Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Puree
Here’s a holiday treat that isn’t loaded with sugar but is loaded with vitamins, antioxidents, fiber and flavor, courtesy of Atkins.com.
- 3 Large egg whites
- 5 Tb. sugar substitute divided
- 1/2 Cup pecans
- 1 1/2 Pounds sweet potatoes peeled
- 1/4 Cup unsalted butter stick
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 1/2 Tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 15 Ounces pumpkin without salt, drained, cooked and boiled
- Heat oven to 250 F. Lightly butter baking sheet.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3 Tb. sugar substitute and continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Spoon onto prepared baking sheet and spread with spatula to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake 35 minutes. Turn oven off; let meringue stand in oven 45 minutes.
- Crush meringue and place in bowl. Add pecans and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
- While meringue is resting, place sweet potatoes in medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above potatoes and bring to boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes, and drain.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat. Add potatoes, butter, cream, remaining sugar substitute, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree.
- Stir to combine. Mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Heat through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer potato mixture to serving dish and cover with meringue.
(Source: Family Features)